Breaking: Nate Diaz And UFC Have A Date For UFC Star’s Return To The Octagon

UFC Super Star Nate Diaz hasn’t seen the inside of the UFC’s Octagon since his August 2016 loss to Conor McGregor in the UFC 202 main event.

Now, according to a report, that’s all about to change, as the UFC and the Stockton star are circling around an August 4 date for Nate’s highly anticipated return to UFC action.

ESPN has the scoop:

The UFC and Nate Diaz have discussed the possibility of him returning to the Octagon at UFC 227 on Aug. 4, according to sources.

Although an official deal remains uncertain, the two sides have at least discussed the August date as recently as last week, sources told ESPN.

Diaz (19-11) hasn’t fought since August 2016, when he suffered a majority decision defeat to Conor McGregor in the second bout of a two-fight rivalry. That event produced the fourth-highest MMA gate in the history of Nevada, drawing $7.7 million.

When reached by ESPN, UFC president Dana White said there is “no update” on Diaz and declined to provide details on any recent discussions. He has repeatedly stated the promotion has engaged Diaz regarding potential opponents during his hiatus, but nothing has materialized.

Nevertheless, Diaz, 33, has expressed interest in taking a fight this year. In a social media post in January, he wrote, “I’ll see you around May, June.”

In February, Diaz told ESPN he was targeting welterweight champion Tyron Woodley as an opponent. White, however, quickly dismissed the idea in multiple interviews.

Whether it comes to fruition or not, UFC 227 would offer an attractive landing for Diaz’s return. The pay-per-view event will take place at Staples Center, in the fighter’s home state of California. A bantamweight title fight between T.J. Dillashaw and Cody Garbrandt has already been announced.

What Others Are Reading.