Pugilist phenoms Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin battled it out inside the squared circle in Las Vegas, Nev. last year. However, the fight ended in a highly controversial draw. Now the world class boxers are set to throw down once more.
Alvarez and “GGG” are set to face off once again inside the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nev. on May 5. With that in mind, Alvarez was recently flagged for the substance clenbuterol.
Alvarez claims the substance entered his system through contaminated meat, rather than intentional illegal usage. However, Golovkin has some heated words concerning the matter.
Speaking to the Los Angeles Times, Golovkin revealed that he believes the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) are acting as “terrorists” concerning the recent drug test failure.
“The commission … they all put their heads down to avoid eye contact. I noticed it when I reviewed the fight again. These people are terrorists, they are killing the sport, not just me.”
Speaking to the Associated Press, Golovkin admitted that he does not believe contaminated meat was the cause.
“I told you, it’s not Mexican meat. This is Canelo. This is his team. This is his promotion.… Canelo is cheating. They’re using these drugs, and everybody is trying to pretend it’s not happening.”
In another interview with the news source, the champion boxer had some heated words concerning Oscar De La Hoya, the head of Golden Boy Promotions.
“It was pretty obvious when [Alvarez’s] muscles were all [enlarged] … and with the traces of injections, which were visible. I can talk about Oscar De La Hoya, too. He is also not clean. He’s dirty.”
Lastly, Golovkin told USA Today that he believes his opponent was on performance enhancing drugs for their first match up.
“Have a look at the video. He used some pills [before the first fight]. It was pretty obvious when his muscles were all with traces of injections. I’ve known it for a long time.”