MMA is one of the most popular sports in the world with millions placing bets on their favourite fighters and even more tuning in to watch, or being lucky enough to go in person. But of course you know this, as that is why you are on mmaimports.com! Matches are often held in casinos which just adds to the glamour- but don’t worry, if you cannot experience the fun of the casino in real life, why not log on to online-casinos-canada.ca whilst you are watching the fight at home? With high octane action, knuckle biting action, and a whole lotta’ testosterone, it is not hard to see the appeal of MMA, but how much do you actually know about it?
- One of the most famous gamblers on MMA, according to vice.com is Dave Oancea- he won £300,000 on a bet on Holly Holm and it is believed to be one of the biggest pay-outs in MMA betting history! If sports betting isn’t your thing though, you can always check out canadacasinos.ca for other great chances to win on casino games!
- Did you know that the earliest recorded mention of MMA was in 648BC in Ancient Greece? Back then it was known as pankration and was a combination of wrestling, grappling, and striking and was very similar to modern MMA. It even features in the Olympics in the same year and it was one of the most popular sports of the era and was then passed on to the Romans who adopted it as a pastime and a means of entertainment.
- Fast forward to the 19th century and it had a new name- savate and was popular in France. Contest were fought between French fighters and ones from other countries and its popularity continued into the 20th century and beyond.
- By the 1900s it had spread to America and one of the most famous fights took place between John L. Sullivan who was the current heavyweight boxing champ, and his trainer a Greco-Roman wrestling champion called William Muldoon. The match lasted two minutes and Sullivan was victorious!
- Then in 1936, heavyweight boxing fighter Kingfish Levinsky fought the professional wrestler Ray Steele in a match which saw Steele emerge victorious after just 35 seconds!
- By the 1970s it had become very popular thanks to Bruce Lee who said that “the best fighter is not a boxer, karate, or judo man. The best fighter is someone who can adapt to any style, to be formless, to adopt an individual’s own style and not follow the system of rules.”
- The 2000s saw women’s MMA surge in popularity, partly due to Rhonda Rousey who has become not only a champion, but a household name as well as, according to inc.com– a source of inspiration.
- MMA is now followed by an estimated 300 million people worldwide. From men and women, individuals of all ages, and from all countries, and according to the guardian.co.uk it has gone on to become one of the most popular sports on the planet!
We hope you enjoyed our facts on the history of MMA, whether you are already a fan or are considering getting into MMA, these facts will not only educate you, but will impress your buddies!