UFC 219 goes down Dec. 30 inside the illustrious T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nev. UFC featherweight champion Cris Cyborg is set to face off against former bantamweight champion Holly Holm during the event. That being said, the mixed martial arts promotion has been attempting to lock down another exciting title fight for the card as of late.
UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor is coming off of a TKO loss in his professional boxing debut from August. Now 50-0 in his boxing career, Floyd Mayweather Jr. took “Notorious” out in the tenth round. Now McGregor is looking to make an octagon return, with interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson set in his sights.
The UFC has been attempting to lock down the two fighters for UFC 219, however negotiations have yet to reach an agreement. SBG Ireland head coach John Kavanagh recently revealed that McGregor is now unlikely to enter the octagon by the end of this year.
Now it would appear that lightweight contender Khabib Nurmagodemov has been offered a match up against “El Cucuy” for UFC 219. The two were originally supposed to fight earlier this year at UFC 209 but Khabib was forced to pull out at the last minute due to a bad weight cut.
Taking to Twitter, “The Eagle” revealed the news.
“To be clear I was offered to fight @TonyFergusonXT on December 30th and I accepted the fight but my focus is barboza. @danawhite @ufc”
To be clear I was offered to fight @TonyFergusonXT on December 30th and I accepted the fight but my focus is barboza. @danawhite @ufc
— khabib nurmagomedov (@TeamKhabib) November 22, 2017
Khabib Nurmagomedov is currently set to face off against Edson Barboza in the UFC 219 fight card. That being said, it would appear that the fighter may be looking to settle things with Ferguson instead.